A fast and fabulously flavorful recipe for Instant Vegan Methi Malai Paneer Tofu you can make in under 15 minutes.
This recipe for an Instant vegan Methi Malai Paneer Tofu comes together in under 15 minutes, using the basic tomato onion sauce.
Methi Malai Paneer is a popular Indian restaurant offering, and it's easy to see why it's so loved. This is a complexly rich dish with layers of salty, spice, mildly bitter and sweet flavors and a creamy mouth feel that can be served with rice pilaf or naan or roti for a memorable and nutritious meal. It can be made with both fresh and dry methi or fenugreek leaves, and since I can't always make a trip to the Indian store, I usually make it with the dry kind that keeps forever in the pantry, and is easily available online.
This is truly an instant recipe, so long as you have the basic tomato onion sauce handy. I shared the recipe for this sauce with you yesterday, and it's a versatile base that you can use for any number of Indian curries, like palak paneer, chana masala and this Methi Malai Paneer Tofu. Next I'll share with you another one of my favorites with this sauce, Palak Aloo or Saag Aloo.
You need to chop a couple of bell peppers and a block of tofu to make this recipe, but that's almost all of the hands on time needed. You can cut that time down further by using frozen, chopped and colorful bell peppers that you can find in the freezer section of the supermarket and certainly at Trader Joe's.
The peppers need under five minutes to cook to the perfect texture, and then all you need to do is make sure the sauce is warmed through. Add a dash of cashew cream and you're done.
Since you already took the trouble to build all those wonderful, complex flavors into your sauce, you don't need to work too hard at this point for a fabulously flavorful dish.
The basic tomato onion sauce is truly a lifesaver: it can not just help you put a delicious and nutritious meal on the dinner table for your family on a weeknight, you can make it ahead and use it to create a number of different dishes while entertaining friends. So if you haven't already, be sure to check out the recipe and, more importantly, make it.
Here's the recipe now. If you make it, be sure to come back and let me know in the comments below or tag me on Instagram with @holycowvegan.
More recipes with the basic tomato onion sauce
- Tofu Cubes in a Black Pepper Curry Sauce, Tofu Paneer Kali Mirch
- Easy Aloo Palak or Saag Aloo
- Easy Aloo Matar
- Instant Chana Masala
- 10-minute Vegan Dal
- Sarson ka Saag, a North Indian Mustard Greens Curry
- And learn how to marinate and bake tofu for Indian dishes to add even more flavor to your curries
More creamy Indian vegan curries
Methi Malai Paneer Tofu
- 1 16-oz block super firm tofu (cut into ½-inch cubes)
- 2 bell peppers (cut in a ½-inch dice)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 ½ cups basic tomato onion sauce
- 2 tbsp kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tbsp raw cashews
- 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped, optional)
- Blend the cashews with ¼ cup water and set aside.
- Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds. As they begin to darken slightly and become fragrant, add the bell peppers. Saute the peppers three to four minutes or until they soften a bit, then add the kasoori methi, stir it in, then add tomato sauce and salt to taste. Add the tofu and mix.
- When the sauce comes to a boil, add the cashew paste and stir it in. Turn off the heat and serve. Garnish with cilantro, if you wish.