Master breakfast or brunch with this vegan Savory Spinach Potato Breakfast Cobbler. It’s smoky, cheesy, and delicious, and the perfect way to start your day.
Cool Fall mornings call for piping hot breakfasts. Or brunches. Like this Savory Spinach Potato Breakfast Cobbler.
And when you pull it out of the oven, all hot and fragrant and delicious-looking, you will be the hero at your breakfast table.
I love savory breakfasts — have I said that before? I’m sure I have. What I love even more is make-ahead breakfasts like these that I can mostly prep the night before and throw into the oven in the morning, so we can sit down to a just-cooked breakfast.
This recipe is a winner on every count: it’s easy to make and takes under 20 minutes to throw together. The rest of the work is done by the oven, and in the end you have a delicious dish you can be proud of. I used scraps of puff pastry dough I had left over from my Karanji recipe to top the cobbler, but you could use storebought or homemade biscuits or a pie crust even.
You also have some versatility with the filling. I like some protein in my breakfast, so I added vegan sausage to this, but you can certainly use white beans instead, or even tofu or tempeh. A smoked tempeh or tofu would be great in here.
You can prep the potato-spinach-cashew base the previous night and put it in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap, and then top with the puff pastry or biscuits and bake the day you want to eat it.
On to this fabulous Savory Spinach Potato Breakfast Cobbler then, because I can’t wait. Can you?
Vegan Spinach Potato Breakfast Cobbler
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 medium red or yellow potatoes, boiled until tender, then sliced. No need to peel if using organic potatoes.
- 13 ounces (approx.) vegan sausage (Italian or chipotle flavors both work here. I have a preference for the chipotle)
- 1 12-oz package of frozen spinach, thawed
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, minced, or 1 tsp dry sage
- 1/2 to 1 sheet puff pastry
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and saute until softened, about five minutes.
- Add the vegan sausage and sage and saute another five minutes. Add the spinach and cook until the mixture is warmed through. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the cashews in a blender along with 1 1/2 cups water, onion powder, and nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until very smooth. If using a high-powered blender no need to soak the cashews, but otherwise soak cashews in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Layer the potatoes at the bottom. Then layer on the sausage-spinach mixture.
- Pour the cashew-yeast blend evenly over the sausage-spinach and potato layers.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet and cut out circles or any shape with a cookie cutter. Layer on top of the cobbler.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until the puff pastry biscuits are golden-brown.
- Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.
More savory vegan breakfast recipes: