With spicy hints of sage and jalapeno, and the sweetness of fresh corn in every bite, these Savory Cornmeal Muffins with Fresh Corn are the perfect breakfast or brunch food. Vegan, wholegrain, and soy-free.
I am a savory person. Give me a choice between sweet and savory, and savory will win each time. I'd rather munch on fries than ice cream. I'd rather eat crackers and not cookies. And if I had to choose between potato chips and a chocolate cupcake, why, the chips would win. Hands down.
I get that from my mom. And if you have a mom who enjoys savory more than sweet, guess what would be the perfect breakfast or brunch to make for her this Mother's Day? These Savory Cornmeal Muffins with Fresh Corn.
For one, they're not just savory. They are savory with two of my favorite flavors: sage and jalapeno peppers, one smoky and the other spicy. And all that savoriness gets extra special when you combine it with sweet corn kernels.
Corn is in season now, so please, if possible, use fresh! But if you don't want to go to the trouble of stripping the kernels from the cob, you can use frozen too. Just make sure you thaw the kernels before adding them to the batter.
What I really love about these Savory Cornmeal Muffins with Fresh Corn is that they are pretty versatile. They are moist, packed with flavor, perfect to take along on picnics or potlucks, and they really don't need any embellishment while serving. You could dab on some vegan butter, if you absolutely must, but they're totally delicious without.
I'll leave you now with the recipe for these very special Savory Cornmeal Muffins with Fresh Corn. Hope you try, and enjoy!
Savory Cornmeal Muffins with Fresh Corn
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour (can sub with half all purpose and half whole-wheat)
- ½ cup stone ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pink salt or sea salt
- 2 tablespoon flax meal (not flax eggs, just the dry flax meal)
- 1 ¼ cup nondairy milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels. If using frozen, thaw before use.
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage or rosemary
- 1 medium or 2 small jalapeno peppers. Deseed if you desire less heat. Minced.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flax meal.
- In a larger bowl, mix the milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for a couple of minutes to curdle. Add the corn kernels, vegetable stock, oil, sage or rosemary, and peppers. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until everything's just moistened and there are no streaks of dry flour.
- Spray or lightly oil a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Divide the muffin batter into the cups of the muffin pan equally. If the tops are very uneven, smooth them a little with a spatula.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Place on a rack to cook, unmold the muffins when the pan is cool enough to handle, and serve warm or at room temperature.
More savory, summery, spring-y, vegan deliciousness: