This delicious Vegan Savory Herb French Toast with fresh herbs like sage and mint makes a welcome change for breakfast. Even better, it takes no more than 20 minutes to make with ingredients that are probably already in your pantry. Vegan, soy-free and nut-free recipe.
If you have been here before, you know that as much as I love sweet, I love savory even more. And something deliciously salty and just a little bit spicy, like this Savory Herb French Toast, gets my weekend off to the perfect start.
What's not to love? The bread gets all golden and crispy at the edges, and is meltingly tender in the center. It's garlicky and herby and it gets even better when you serve it with some red hot tomato chutney on the side.
If you were in France, you'd use herbes de provence -- a melange of savory dried herbs -- to make this French toast. But I dug into my garden's bounty for some fresh, leafy sage and mint, which, I thought, would be great together in here with their sweet and savory yin-yang. You can experiment with the herbs you love: I can see this turning out beautifully with cilantro, or rosemary, or even some marjoram. Use what you have.
The Savory Herb French Toast is very simply seasoned, with a dash of salt and pepper and garlic. You really don't need much more. Try and use a French bread that's a day or two old, if you can, but any other crusty bread will work well too. I used white French bread, but you can use whole wheat. In fact, it would be great with my homemade Whole Wheat French Bread.
I don't like my French Toast too soggy, so I don't leave it in the "eggy" mix, made with flax eggs, for too long. That way the center gets soft, but the edges remain crusty and crispy. Best of both worlds.
If you like French toast with Indian flavors, I have a version on the blog for a Bread Pakora, a savory French toast, Indian-style. That recipe, just as delicious, uses a coating of chickpea flour and spices.
If you try this Vegan Savory Herb French Toast, please leave a review and a rating below. Hope you're looking forward to the weekend. I know I am!
Looking for more vegan breakfast recipes?
Vegan Savory Herb French Toast
- 8 thick slices French bread or any crusty bread
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxmeal whisked with 6 tbsp water, then allowed to stand for a couple of minutes)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp fresh, minced sage
- 1 tbsp fresh, minced mint
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (substitute with two teaspoons of smashed, minced fresh garlic)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil for coating pan (or use cooking spray if you don't want to use oil)
- In a bowl or dish large enough to hold a slice of the bread, whisk the flax eggs with the milk, herbs, rice flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper until there are no lumpy bits of flaxmeal. Let it stand a couple of minutes to thicken slightly.
- Coat a large skillet with oil and heat.
- Soak each slice of bread in the mixture, turning once so both sides are coated. I do this quickly, and don't let the bread soak for too long. The longer you leave the bread in the mixture, the more moisture it will soak up. Wetter bread will be harder to handle.
- Add the slices of bread one by one to the skillet, but don't overlap. You can do this in batches. Cook over medium-high heat for three to four minutes on each side or until golden-brown.
- Serve hot with tomato chutney (recipe link in notes below)