This vegan Mushroom Gravy is thick, creamy, rich and it enhances just about any dish you pour it on, from mashed potatoes to meatballs to a meatless loaf. At your Thanksgiving table, it's sure to become a star. Vegan, nut-free, can be gluten-free.
This Vegan Mushroom Gravy is so delicious and satisfying, I promise you'll become addicted. And you might have to resist an urge to pour it over just about anything and everything. Or to gulp it all down as soon as it's done.
I know because that's exactly what I've done: pour it over everything, that is. I love it with my creamy mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes. I love heating up some veggie meatballs and pouring some of this creamy gravy over it. And, if there's nothing else around, I love eating it by the spoonful.
The key to making a great-tasting vegan mushroom gravy, in the absence of the pan juices from roasting meat that usually forms the base of a gravy, is to make sure you develop all the flavor you possibly can. The first step is to caramelize your onions to a rich, golden brown. Next, cook your mushrooms with a splash of apple cider vinegar and then soy sauce to develop that umami that gives this vegan gravy its oomph factor. And finally, use a smoky herb like sage or rosemary to build further on all of those delicious flavors.
I like straining the sauce when I serve it on a bed of silken mashed potatoes (here's my recipe for the creamiest, dreamiest mashed potatoes), but you leave in the bits of mushrooms and onions if you like, because they're really delicious too. Also, if you want to keep this nut-free, omit the last step of adding a tiny splash of cashew cream at the end. The cashew, I find, makes the gravy even more decadent, but the recipe totally works without it, and the gravy is still rich and creamy.
If you try this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and a rating below. As always, I look forward to hearing from you!
Looking for more tasty vegan recipes?
- Vegan Meatballs in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Vegan White Pasta Sauce
- Magic Cheezy Sauce for Everything
- Cheezy Horseradish Sauce
- Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Bisque
Vegan Mushroom Gravy Recipe:
Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots or 1 small red onion (finely minced)
- 2 cups crimini or baby portobello mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour (use rice flour to make this gluten-free)
- 4 cups vegetable stock (use a low sodium or good homemade stock. My recipe is linked in the notes below.)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 tsp sage (or use rosemary)
- 2 tbsp cashew cream, optional (Make this by blitzing 1 tbsp raw cashews with 2 tbsp water)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil and add the onions or shallots. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the onions caramelize and turn golden-brown.
- Add the mushrooms with the apple cider vinegar and cook, stirring frequently, until the moisture has evaporated.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes, until the flour is completely absorbed by the veggies.
- Add two cups of the stock, whisking as you add it, until you have a smooth sauce. Add the remaining stock, continuing to whisk.
- Stir, add the soy sauce and sage, and continue to cook for another 15-20 minutes over high heat or until the gravy is reduced by almost half and is thick and creamy. Stir in the cashew cream if using
- Turn off the heat and, at this point, you can strain the sauce for serving. Or, if you'd rather, serve it as is. The bits of mushroom and onion in the gravy are delicious.