This easy and quick Chickpea Avocado Salad is one of my favorite meals in summer. It's a winner all around: delicious and packed with good-for-you veggies like avocados, tomatoes and onions. And it comes together in under 15 minutes with 10 ingredients. It's also gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, oil-free and vegan!
Chickpea Avocado Salad
I love how versatile this Chickpea Avocado Salad is. I roll it in a wrap for lunch, or pile it on a whole wheat hamburger bun for Jay. Desi will usually just eat it as a side, by itself. If I'm feeling like being rather good, I roll it up inside a lettuce wrap. It's always so, so delicious!
There's no added fat or even any sort of dressing in this recipe. What we do have are two earthy, flavorful spices: cayenne and cumin. There's also some garlic and cilantro, for herby flavor. The avocados do have a good amount of natural, heart-healthy fat, of course, and they add all the creaminess you'll want, so there's no need to butter or mayo your wraps and buns. The diced green peppers and red onions add amazing texture, and I sometimes throw in cooked corn kernels for more sweet, crunchy flavor.
Try it, then tell me if you don't love it as much as we do!
Why you'll love this chickpea avocado salad
- It's so simple and yet so delicious. There are just a handful of ingredients in this avocado chickpea salad recipe but together they create magic. The firm bite of the chickpeas is gorgeous with the creamy avocado, crunchy onion and sweet tomatoes. The cumin and lemon tie in all the flavors beautifully.
- It is very healthy with no added oils. This chickpea salad is filled with good-for-you ingredients. And there is no added oil in this recipe. The avocado adds in all the healthy fats your body craves and needs.
- It is versatile, and you can eat it so many ways. It makes a great meal by itself, or you can pile it into wraps and buns.
- It works for any diet. The salad is nut-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and vegan.
- 2 14 oz cans of chickpeas (or 1 cup dried chickpeas, cooked until tender but not mushy)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- ½ to 1 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium red onion
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (or mint)
- 1 tablespoon roasted ground cumin
- Salt to taste
How to make chickpea avocado salad
- Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.
Frequently asked questions
Extremely so. The salad has no added oils and it is filled with good-for-you ingredients, including chickpeas, vegetables and a few simple spices. There are just 179 calories in each hearty serving and nine grams of protein, eight grams of fiber and a ton of micronutrients from the veggies.
You can add other summery veggies like cucumbers and zucchini to this salad for more awesomeness and healthfulness.
A black bean avocado salad would taste awesome, and you can definitely swap out the chickpeas for two 14 oz cans of black beans.
To make this a low carb recipe substitute the chickpeas with edamame or with firm tofu cubes.
More yummy salad recipes you might like
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Grilled Corn Salad
- Beet Salad with Garlic Lemon Vinaigrette
- Lentil and Pasta Salad
- Quinoa Lentil Salad
- Brown Rice Salad with Dill
Chickpea Avocado Salad
- 28 oz chickpeas (drained and rinsed. Or 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked and cooked until tender)
- 2 ripe avocados (cut in a dice)
- 1 medium tomato (seeds removed and diced)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (deseeded and cut into a fine dice)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 medium red onion (finely diced)
- Juice of 1 emon
- 2 tablespoon cilantro (minced)
- 1 tablespoon roasted cumin (coarsely powdered)
- Salt to taste
- Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Serve at room temperature or cold.