An easy and creamy Indian spiced Peas Potato Curry that comes together in just minutes. This is a great curry recipe to put together in a hurry for weeknights. Serve with rice or naan. Vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, can be nut-free.
This creamy vegan Peas Potato Curry is creamy, tangy, sweet, spicy and absolutely delicious. What's better, it is a quick - and easy - recipe that almost no one can go wrong with. If you love a simple potato curry, you will definitely love this one.
Want more proof of just how good it is? It's versatile, and goes equally well with Indian flatbreads like chapatis or naan or rotis or even mixed with rice.
Although this recipe uses just a minimal amount of spices, it has an outstanding blend of flavors and textures. I love it because it is:
And all of this at once, creating an almost perfect blend of ayurvedic flavors.
I used potatoes and peas for this version, but mushroom would be a great addition or substitution. You can also try other spring/summer veggies here, like zucchini or bell peppers.
The only spices used here are turmeric, cayenne, and mango powder, or amchoor. But it's more than enough to pack a wallop.
In summer, when my basil plants are thriving, I sometimes tear up some basil and add it to this curry at the end. The basil gives the curry a sweet-spicy kick that I love and makes the dish just that much more special. But cilantro, a more traditional choice, is great at well, although completely optional.
Can I add more protein to this curry?
Yes! Throw in a few cubes of tofu or tempeh for a really delicious and healthy protein punch.
You can also use chickpeas instead of the peas.
Serving suggestions for the Creamy Peas Potato Curry:
My favorite way to serve this curry is with rice, a sabzi like this easy pepper-mushroom stir fry.
If too rushed to make a sabzi, you can also just serve it with plain rice and some poppadum on the side. You already have your veggies in the curry!
Here we go, with a quick and simple recipe for a hearty weeknight dinner. Enjoy!
Creamy Peas Potato Curry Recipe:
Vegan Peas Potato Curry
- 15-20 cashews (soaked in water for about 15 minutes, then drained) You can skip the cashews to make this nut-free.
- 3 medium potatoes (diced)
- 1 cup green peas (frozen or fresh are fine)
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- ½ teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder)
- 8 oz coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 8-10 basil leaves or 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add the cashews and potatoes and stir fry until golden
- Add the peas and stir. Add a few tablespoons of water, cover the pot and cook until the vegetables are tender. If the potatoes start to stick, add a little more water.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add the tomato puree and powdered spices.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and salt to taste. Add vegetable stock or water if you want to thin out the curry.
- Turn off the heat before the coconut milk comes to a boil. Garnish with basil or cilantro, if using, and serve hot.