These vegan brownies have no added oil and are wholegrain, making them the perfect healthy treat for anytime.
This is the most scrumptious vegan brownie you'll ever make and eat, guaranteed, and it's both wholegrain and oil free.
I posted this brownie recipe more than 10 years ago, and it soon became a family favorite as well as a favorite for several readers who wrote to say they had made it and loved it.
It still amazes me that a decadent dessert with no added oil can turn out so delicious, and these are not just delicious--they are mindblowingly so. Keep in mind that they are oil-free but not fat-free, because they do contain walnuts and flaxmeal, but those are healthy fats.
There's also a good amount of healthfulness here from the whole wheat and natural sugars, making these brownies pretty outrageously good for you.
I have made a couple of tweaks to this recipe since I last posted it. I upped the amount of maple syrup from two tablespoons to four, because I now have a little one and his sweet tooth to please. Use less if you want to, and you'll still get a great-tasting brownie. You can also just use all maple syrup instead of the sugar.
Even with more maple syrup, these brownies are not cloyingly sweet. If you want an additional hit of chocolate, stir ½ cup of bittersweet chocolate chips in the batter.
The brownies themselves are fudgy when you eat them rightaway, and get chewier as they stand. They make the perfect snack, so be sure to pack one -- or two -- in your little one's lunchbox or your own.
What we love about these brownies
- They're oil-free, yet moist and tender.
- They're delicious without being cloyingly sweet.
- They're made with whole wheat.
- They're super chocolatey and you can make them even more so!
- Kids'll love them--bake these up together for some family fun together.
Try these vegan dessert recipes next
- Vegan Chocolate Oreo Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate Cherry Muffins
- Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever
Vegan Brownies Recipe
Vegan Brownies, no added oils, whole wheat
- ¾ cup whole-wheat pastry flour (can sub with unbleached all purpose flour)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules (optional, but coffee really enhances the chocolate flavor)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp flax meal (whisk with 3 tbsp water)
- ½ cup walnuts (lightly toasted and coarsely chopped)
- Chocolate sprinkles (optional)
- Sift all the dry ingredients, including the flour, coffee, cocoa, baking soda and salt, into a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl mix together the maple syrup, water, sugar, flaxmeal mixture, and vanilla extract. Whisk together until well mixed.
- Add the flour-cocoa mixture to this in 3 batches, mixing well after each addition using a ladle or spatula.
- Stir in the walnuts. The batter will be really thick.
- Prepare an 8 X 8-inch baking pan by lining it with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Leave an overhang on each side of the pan so you can easily lift the brownies out after they are baked. Spray the parchment or foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the batter in and, using a spatula or the back of a spoon, spread evenly in the pan. At this point, you can sprinkle some chocolate sprinkles over the top for a nice finish.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool thoroughly on a rack. Lift out the brownies using the foil overhang as handles, and cut into squares. If you didn't use chocolate sprinkles, you can dust on some powdered sugar for a pretty finish.