This Instant Gluten-Free Masala Dosa is the easiest recipe for a dosa novice to follow, and even if you’re a seasoned dosa maker, it provides a great, quick alternative for a healthy breakfast or meal when you don’t have a pot of fermented batter sitting around. Gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free and vegan recipe.
This is one of our favorite weekend morning breakfasts or quick lunches. Desi loves it because a dosa is comfort food for any south Indian. Jay loves it because it’s a crispy crepe encasing a delicious potato and peas stuffing. And I love it because it’s all of the above, and one of the easiest and quickest meals in my repertoire.
Do I even need to say it’s super healthy?
I already have a quick masala dosa recipe on the blog, based on a recipe by Jamie Oliver. While that’s a really tasty dosa too, and certainly quick, it contains whole wheat, and I wanted to try a gluten-free version for sometimes.
The dosa recipe itself couldn’t be simpler. All you need are three ingredients: chickpea flour or besan, rice flour (brown rice flour is great), and baking soda. And salt and water. You can go from scratch to dosas in less than 10 minutes.
The stuffing of poatoes and peas is a basic Indian curry recipe that can go into anything from a samosa to a potato vada, and the reason it’s used so often is because it’s mindblowingly tasty. It’s also really easy to make. I boil the potatoes in the microwave which takes around 10 minutes, and after that it takes no more than five minutes to actually cook this curry using some simple spices.
When you have the time, it’s always great to make and eat the classic dosa with a fermented batter because of the added probiotic health benefits it offers. But at a pinch, this instant dosa is nothing less than a lifesaver.
Instant Gluten-Free Masala Dosa
For the dosa crepes:
For the potato curry stuffing:
- 1 tsp vegetable oil like coconut or peanut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 green chilies like serrano or jalapeno. Deseed for less heat. Minced.
- 1 sprig (about 10 leaves) curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 5 medium potatoes, any kind are fine, boiled and then peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
Make the potato curry stuffing:
- Heat the oil and add cumin seeds. When they start to darken, add the onion, ginger, green chilies and curry leaves. Saute a couple of minutes until the onion softens.
- Add the turmeric and stir well. Add the potatoes and green peas and mix well. Saute for about five minutes, then squeeze in the lemon juice, add salt to taste, and turn off heat. Set aside.
Make the dosas:
- Make the dosas right before serving. Place all ingredients for dosa in a bowl and add approximately 1 1/2 cups of water or more if needed to make a batter that's like a crepe batter, ie. slightly runnier than a regular pancake batter.
- Heat a nonstick or cast-iron griddle. When the griddle is screaming hot, use a ladle with a rounded bottom to pour about 1/3 cup of batter on the griddle. Using the bottom of the ladle, spread the batter in a spiral motion, moving outward. Do this quickly before the batter begins to set on the griddle. Spray the sides of the dosa with cooking spray or oil.
- When the bottom turns light gold-brown, flip the dosa over. Cook another 30 seconds and remove to a plate. Place 2-3 tablespoons of the filling in the center of the dosa and fold over before serving with a green chutney*.
- * Try this coriander chutney with the dosa
More savory crepe recipes: