Throw cauliflower and chickpeas together on a sheet pan with some Indian spices and watch magic happen in this recipe for Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas with Indian Spices. A vegan, gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free recipe.
Cauliflower and chickpeas, chickpeas and cauliflower. Not only do these two ingredients make for a healthy, rather perfect, marriage, they also taste incredibly good together. Even better, they alliterate. 🙂 And when you roast them together, that potent chemistry they already share turns into powerful food alchemy.
I roast cauliflower all the time for a side, and I roast chickpeas all the time for a snack, but throwing them together on the baking sheet and letting them turn all golden — together — was a bit of a revelation to me. A happy one. And one that’s going to happen again and again in my kitchen.
Like most roasted vegetables, there are all sorts of flavors you can try with your Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas. But my favorite, hands down, has got to be this mix of Indian spices that makes an already gorgeous dish absolutely divine.
This is an incredibly simple dish. Separate your cauliflower into florets, drain your chickpeas, toss everything with the spices, and roast. I hate those recipes that ask you to stir chickpeas in the oven ever so often because, honestly, who enjoys standing over a hot oven, stirring? That horrid witch from Hansel and Gretel, perhaps, but not me. With this one, you have to stir just once — once, I promise — and your cauliflower and your chickpeas will thank you for it.
Grab your oven mitts, then, and let’s get roasting. This one’s a keeper.
Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas
- 1 large head of cauliflower, trimmed and separated into florets
- 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, drained if canned
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 5 spring onions or scallions, green and white parts finely chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, or on a foil-lined baking sheet, toss together all of the powdered spices, oil, salt, pepper, cauliflower and chickpeas.
- Spread the cauliflower and chickpeas evenly in a single layer of the sheet. Don't overcrowd the baking sheet or the vegetables won't roast, they'll steam.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring once, halfway through, to ensure the chickpeas and cauliflower get roasted evenly.
- Garnish with the spring onions and serve.