Here's a quick weeknight recipe that's healthy and sure to delight just about anyone, especially if that anyone likes methi or fenugreek leaves: My Methi Tomato Rice.
If you think methi is too exotic, or have never tried it for whatever reason, I am about to evangelize you. Methi leaves are quite easily available here in the United States at Indian and Asian grocery stores, and they are incredibly, incredibly good for you.
Don't let their slight bitterness put you off: it's rather pleasant, really, and it is the reason why methi is so prized in Indian kitchens. This leafy veggie is a powerful warrior against heart disease and diabetes, with cholesterol and hypertension reducing properties. It's great for digestion, too.
This recipe is rather straightforward and comes together in minutes. There's no blending required-- the flavors come out of jars, and all you need, by way of exotic Indian spices, is some turmeric and some sambar powder, although curry powder, if you happen to have that on hand, is just as good.
Make some today. You'll be thrilled.
Methi Tomato Rice
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 tomatoes (pureed in a blender)
- 1 bunch methi leaves (fenugreek leaves, about 2 cups, tough stems removed, then chopped. Methi often has a lot of grit on it, so be sure to wash it thoroughly in several changes of water.)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 heaping tbsp curry powder (or sambar powder)
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the cumin seeds, stir-fry for a minute, then add the onions.
- Saute the onions until translucent. Add the tomato puree and the fenugreek or methi leaves. Add the curry powder, cayenne, and turmeric. Stir well and let the mixture cook about 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add the rice with salt to taste. Stir to coat the rice with the spices and veggies.
- Add 2 ½ cups of water. Bring to a boil, then put on a tight-fitting lid, lower the heat to the lowest level, and let the rice cook 15 minutes.
- Turn off and let the rice stand another 10 minutes. Open, fluff with a fork, garnish with cilantro and serve hot.