These golden, delicious vegan vanilla cupcakes are soft and fluffy. You can top them with a vegan buttercream or with a gooey, yummy chocolate ganache frosting.
My husband, Desi, loves cupcakes. So last week, for his birthday, I surprised him with these Golden Vanilla Cupcakes with a Chocolate Ganache Frosting.
Given how delicious these are, it is almost surprising how easy they are to make. And they are, of course, completely vegan.
I usually use a small amount of cornstarch in my cupcakes to help bind them, but the egg replacer, which is basically a mixture of various kinds of starches, worked very well as a substitute. ( I just realized as I wrote this that the egg replacer here is a substitute for a substitute. Hilarious!)
Ok, time to stop the prattle and get on with the recipe. I hope you try these vegan vanilla cupcakes -- they're really delicious, and super easy to make. A win-win!
More cake recipes
- Vegan Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Vegan Carrot Cupcakes
- Vegan Irish Cream Cupcakes
- Vegan Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
For the cupcakes:
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp egg replacer powder
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup turbinado sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate ganache frosting:
- ¼ cup nondairy milk
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
Make the cupcakes:
- Mix together the almond or soy milk and vinegar and set aside for five minutes to curdle.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, egg replacer powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil, sugar, almond/soy milk mixture and vanilla until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the flour gradually, beating until it is thoroughly incorporated.
- Line a muffin or cupcake pan with cupcake liners and fill each liner with the cupcake batter about ⅔rds full. I get about 10 cupcakes from this recipe.
- Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Place on a rack to cool thoroughly before removing the cupcakes to frost.
Make the frosting:
- Heat the almond milk to a simmer, then take off the heat.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until you have a smooth ganache. Add the sugar and maple syrup and stir in thoroughly.
- Allow the ganache to cool thoroughly before frosting the cupcakes. The ganache will be gooey at the beginning, but it will firm up after a few minutes.