Classic vegan biscuits are delicious. But when you simply don't want to go to the trouble of rolling and cutting the dough, make these equally delicious and easy vegan Buttermilk Drop Biscuits. They are buttery and flaky and perfect for those times you want an indulgent yet quick breakfast. All you need to serve them is some jam. Or smother them in gravy. A vegan, soy-free and nut-free recipe.
One of the reasons why these easy vegan Buttermilk Drop Biscuits are a favorite weekend breakfast at our home is that not only are they super quick to put together, not only are they mindnumbingly delicious, but they're also so very versatile.
And they're golden and crispy and crumbly.
Desi can smear on some jam on them to satisfy his sweet tooth (they are absolutely amazing with some homemade rhubarb jam -- recipe coming next!), and I can eat them just as they are because I love savory. Or, better still, I can smother them with a creamy gravy, like the leek and mushroom gravy I shared in my last post, or this creamy vegan mushroom gravy, for deliciousness that's out of this world.
Jay, who loves both sweet and savory, can go either way.
Whatever you decide to do, you can rest assured that this will be a hearty, amazing breakfast that will have everyone going mmm-mmm.
You need just a handful of ingredients to make these biscuits happen, and I'll bet they already are in your pantry or refrigerator: flour, salt, water, a smidge of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nondairy milk and apple cider vinegar.
You need just about five minutes to make your batter. After that bung them in the oven for 20 minutes and you'll have golden, delicious biscuits made from scratch that you can carry to the table, piping hot, looking like a domestic god or goddess.
So what's stopping you? Enjoy your day and if you make this recipe, be sure to come back and let me know! And if you love baking with sourdough, be sure to check out this vegan sourdough biscuits recipe.
More savory vegan breakfast recipes:
- Mushrooms on Sourdough Toast, 15-minute breakfast
- Vegan Hash Brown Waffles
- Vegan Sausage Breakfast Lasagna
- Vegan Potato Sauerkraut Pancakes
- Savory Leek Sourdough Bread Pudding
- Vegan Zucchini Breakfast Strata
Sweet vegan breakfast recipes:
- Vegan Cinnamon Rolls with Vanilla Cashew Glaze
- Vegan Apple Pie Pull Apart Bread
- Vegan Carrot Almond Breakfast Pudding, naturally sweetened
- Vegan Bananas Foster Bread Pudding
- Vegan Raspberry White Chocolate Waffles, whole wheat
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Easy Vegan Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the nondairy milk and the vinegar and set aside.
- Place the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and whisk them together to mix.
- Add the cubes of butter and using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture is grainy with a few pea-size pieces of butter.
- Add the milk-vinegar mixture, a little at a time, stirring with a fork to ensure everything mixes. Don't overmix because you don't want to promote the formation of gluten which will make your biscuits hard rather than crumbly and flaky.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an ice cream scoop, or with a spoon, scoop out the batter in mounds on the baking sheet to make eight biscuits. You can also make 10 smaller biscuits. Make sure there's at least an inch of space between the biscuits.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for five minutes, then serve hot or warm.
- Click here for Leek and Mushroom Gravy recipe.