As delicious as fennel is, I am always hoping to create recipes that will do its unique flavor full justice, like my Fennel Crusted Potatoes and Pasta with Fennel Pesto. This past week, trying to do something wonderful with a couple of beautiful bulbs of fennel, I put together this quick, very simple, but very flavorful side dish of Roasted Vegetables with Fennel Vinaigrette.
My Roasted Vegetables with Fennel Vinaigrette is a very versatile dish. Use any robust vegetable that would stand up well to roasting and hold its shape and a bit of crunch in the oven. I used carrots, potatoes, and fennel bulbs, but sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, or even plantains would work here.
Roasted Vegetables with Fennel Vinaigrette
- 2 bulbs fennel. Cut off the leaves and stems and peel the tough outer layers of the bulbs. Chop the bulbs roughly into a 1-inch dice.
- 2 large potatoes , cut into a 1-inch dice.
- 2 carrots , cut into a 1-inch dice
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil to spray
- For the vinaigrette:
- Tender stalks and leaves of the fennel , chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the vegetables on a baking sheet sprayed with oil and toss with the salt and black pepper. Spray some more oil over the top of the vegetables.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 45-60 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through and lightly golden-brown.
- Place all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a blender and blitz until everything's blended pretty fine.
- Pour over the roasted vegetables, toss to mix, and serve immediately.
(C) All recipes and photographs copyright of Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes.