Khasta Paratha/Parotta

Khasta Paratha

Khasta Paratha, which translates to a flaky flatbread, is a unique treat that just begs to be torn apart with your fingers, dunked into a spicy curry, then popped into your mouth.

I’ve seen as many versions of this dish as there are cooks. Some recipes are rather straightforward and not unlike those for other flatbreads like rotis. The problem is, they end up looking and tasting no different than rotis. Others, modeled along the south Indian parotta, require tons of technique — enough to make you throw up your hands and call in for chow mein.

South Indian Parotta
My recipe produces a result that’s not just crispy and layered and flaky and uber-delicious (exactly what a Khasta Paratha should be), but it’s also easy enough that a child could make it. Really. I do away with all the complicated rolling instructions and instead use a technique not unlike that used for puff pastry (a trick I learned from watching Sanjeev Kapoor, one of my favorite Indian TV chefs). All you need is some time, and that’s not dedicated time because you don’t have to stand over a stove slaving away or anything like that.
My Khasta Paratha also does away with ghee, which is traditionally used in this dish and which, of course, is a cholesterol-packed animal product. Instead, I use heart-healthy canola oil. Use any flavorless vegetable oil you have on hand.
I made these parathas this past weekend and we had them with My Dad’s Not-Mutton Mushroom Curry– one of my most cherished recipes from this blog. Trust me, I wouldn’t just pair it with just any old bread.
Here’s the recipe. Enjoy, all!
Khasta Paratha or Parotta

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp oil + more for smearing on the paratha
  • Water
Instructions
  1. Place the flour, salt and oil in a bowl and mix until the oil has dispersed through the flour.
  2. Add enough water to make a stiff but pliable dough. Set the dough aside for at least 30 minutes so it can relax and roll out easily.
  3. Roll the dough on a floured surface into a rectangle, about 10 X 7 inches.
  4. Brush the entire top surface lightly with some oil, then dust lightly with a little flour.
  5. Lift the sides of the rectangle and fold them one over the other horizontally, so you have three layers.
  6. Place the rectangle of dough in the refrigerator on a flat surface, like a cookie sheet.
  7. After half an hour, pull out the dough, roll it again into a rectangle about 10 X 7 inches, brush with oil, dust with flour, and fold again to get three more layers. Put it back in the refrigerator.
  8. Repeat the entire process two more times.
  9. After you've folded and refrigerated the dough four times, roll it again into a rectangle and brush it with oil. This time, roll the dough horizontally the way you would a jelly roll.
  10. When you have a cylinder, tuck the seam under and, using a knife, cut it into 10 equal portions.
  11. Take one roll, flatten it, and then roll it into a circle, about 6 inches in diameter. Don't make the paratha too think, or you will end up flattening the layers. Use some flour to help you roll, if the dough sticks. Repeat for all the remaining 9 portions.
  12. Heat a griddle until it's piping hot. Lower the heat to medium-high, place a paratha on the griddle, and wait until bubbles appear.
  13. Flip over the paratha and lightly brush some oil on the surface. When the underside is cooked and golden-brown spots appear, flip over once more and cook for a few more seconds or until golden spots appear.
  14. Serve rightaway.

For a part-whole-wheat version made with a more traditional technique, try my South Indian Parotta.

20 thoughts on “Khasta Paratha/Parotta

November 22, 2011 at 3:05pm

Droolworthy and prefect looking parotta, feel like having some with paneer tikka masala.

Latha

November 22, 2011 at 5:27pm

Parotta looks so flaky and yummy! Love to have this with kurma.

divya

November 22, 2011 at 9:13pm

Omg, super delicious and irresistible parotta….

Richa

November 22, 2011 at 11:57pm

yumm another fave veganized.. i love how flaky the paratha looks!! you are churning out some beauties.. that starry strawberry pie was so beautiful!

Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

Harini

November 23, 2011 at 3:35am

The method sounds very easy! love the flaky Parotta!

Rashmi

November 23, 2011 at 9:54pm

Looks really so many layered and fluffy.

Anonymous

November 24, 2011 at 12:19pm

Hi vaushali,

I m dying to try out so many of your bread recipes, and this is definitely going to be one of them, but since do not have any access to APF, and not very keen on using maida; what to do? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me find out some way to get APF through online; or if u have any source person who knows where it can be found in India. Once again pleaseeeeeeee….help.

God Bless
    Nisha.

Smultron Soul

November 24, 2011 at 12:24pm

They look so flakey~! I made this with your not-mutton curry and it came out amazing. Thank you!

November 24, 2011 at 6:59pm

Rashmi, thanks!

Nisha, Maida would definitely work for this recipe, if you want to make it. APF is also refined like maida, so there is no advantage to using one over the other. And it’s okay to use them, so long as it’s a once-in-a-while treat.
    I haven’t lived in India a long time so I wouldn’t know where to buy APF, but maybe a reader would know? I’ll ask some Indian friends too.
    It would help us to know where you live– I think APF is available in some Indian cities, but I think it is marketed interchangeably with maida.

November 24, 2011 at 6:59pm

Smultron Soul, thanks for letting me know–happy you enjoyed them. Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous

November 25, 2011 at 4:18am

Thanks Vaishali, I m currently residing in Korukonda, a small village 70 kms away from Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.

God Bless
    Nisha.

Miri

November 30, 2011 at 4:45pm

I dont know why I always thought khasta paratha had besan in it….and yes SK is great at simplifying Indian recipes isnt he ? cant wait to try this!

Miri

Sarah

December 3, 2011 at 1:14pm

This was excellent! I used white spelt since I can’t have wheat at the moment, and it turned out great. I also made your restaurant style veg biryani with it, along with a green bean dish…altogether I felt like I was eating at an Indian restaurant!

December 3, 2011 at 7:47pm

Sarah, thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed the parathas and biryani. :)

Anonymous

December 29, 2012 at 3:00am

it was a mistake looking here, on such an empty stomach :) if a good samosa isnt proof of the divine…what is? big hug-amazing site i just found!