This easy and quick Chickpea Avocado Salad is one of my favorite brown bags because it's a winner all around: it's incredibly healthy, incredibly tasty, and it comes together in under 15 minutes.
As much as I love cooking my own beans from scratch, I usually put this salad together with canned chickpeas because of the convenience. Which takes me off on a tangent: remember when that chickpea -- or any bean -- brine was anathema? Drain the beans thoroughly and wash them to remove all of the brine, instructions in cookbooks would go, not so long ago, warning cooks about all that salt. It is one of the reasons I started to cook beans from scratch, because I didn't want all that sodium in our diet. But then someone, somewhere, discovered that chickpea brine was a useful ingredient in the vegan baker's arsenal and now this once disliked ingredient is prized as aquafaba. How the times change. 🙂
Back to the recipe, I love how versatile this Chickpea Avocado Salad is. I roll it in a whole-wheat wrap for lunch, or pile it on a whole wheat hamburger bun for Jay. Desi will usually just eat it as a side, by itself. If I'm feeling like being rather good, I roll it up inside a lettuce wrap. It's always so, so delicious.
There's no added fat or even any sort of dressing in this recipe. What we do have are two earthy, flavorful spices: cayenne and cumin. There's also some garlic and cilantro, for herby flavor. The avocados do have a good amount of natural, heart-healthy fat, of course, and they add all the creaminess you'll want, so there's no need to butter or mayo your wraps and buns. The diced green peppers and red onions add amazing texture, and I sometimes throw in cooked corn kernels for more sweet, crunchy flavor. Jay especially loves the corn.
Hope everyone has had a great start to the new year. Let's make it a good one!
Try these recipes next:
- Curried Coconut Tofu Wraps
- Vegan Kati Roll, tofu and veggies in a flaky whole-wheat wrap
- Keema Wrap
- Vegan Vegetable Frankie
- Fat-free Lentil Tacos
- Moroccan Couscous Salad
- Lentil and Pasta Salad
- Quinoa Lentil Salad
- Brown Rice Salad with Dill
Chickpea Avocado Salad
- 14 oz chickpeas (drained)
- 2 ripe avocados (cut in a dice)
- 1 medium tomato (seeds removed and diced)
- ½ green bell pepper (deseeded and cut into a fine dice)
- 1 clove garlic (finely minced)
- 1 medium red onion (finely diced)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoon coriander or cilantro (minced)
- 2 teaspoon roasted cumin (coarsely powdered)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt to taste
- Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Serve at room temperature or cold.