A creamy and fresh -- and vegan -- take on hummus made with fresh soybeans or edamame.
I am in India for the next three weeks, but before saying goodbye I wanted to leave you with one of my most favorite and versatile dishes: my three-soy hummus.
I must admit I jumped the gun on this one when I posted my edamame pesto recipe. That recipe was actually inspired by this three-soy hummus which is a very easy, very delicious and very, very nutritious dish. It acts great as a spread for wraps or as an appetizer with whole-wheat pita or crackers, but I usually pick up a spoon and eat it like ice-cream. Yes, it's that good.
I would normally use soft tofu for the hummus, but I happened to only have some silken firm tofu in my refrigerator which has been depleted quite a bit because of the upcoming travel. The firm tofu worked very well and gave the hummus an interesting texture while not really taking away from that creamy mouth-feel.
I call this a three-soy hummus because of the three different soy products I use in it: edamame or soybeans, tofu, and mild miso. Miso is a paste made with fermented soybeans and is rich in enzymes that aid digestion. It is salty, so go slow on the salt in the hummus. I usually don't add any at all. Also, vegans and vegetarians might want to get a good look at the label when you buy miso, because some brands do use non-vegetarian ingredients.
I hope you enjoy this very special recipe.
Looking for more vegan hummus recipes?
- Beet Burger with Chipotle Cashew Hummus
- Eggplant Hummus with Za'atar
- Quinoa Crepes with Cilantro Hummus
Edamame Hummus Recipe:
- 2 cups edamame (fresh soybeans, shelled before measuring, and thawed if frozen, then steamed with a couple of tablespoons of water in a microwave for a couple of minutes)
- 2 cups silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon miso (white or mild miso is best here)
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds , powdered
- 3 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use more or less per your taste)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Could it be any easier?