My Chocolate Mousse and Oreo Stuffed Puff Pastry Shells are complex, with a delicious mix of textures and flavors: much like love is. There's the soft and silky chocolate mousse, the flavorful crunch of the cookies, the crispy, flaky delicacy of the golden puff pastry shells. And, ultimately, it's all really quite simple to pull together: exactly the way love should be.
I wanted to make a quick Valentine's Day dessert that would tell my loved ones just how much I care for them, even when I'm on a tight schedule. These Chocolate Mousse and Oreo Puff Pastry Shells are a natural winner because they combine something my little one would love, chocolate and Oreos, with something my big one would love, silky, decadent mousse in a flaky shell. What I love is that they are hardly any work for me: the puff pastry shells are store bought, and the only thing I really need to do is blend and heat up the cashew cream and stir it into the chocolate. Oh, and I did have to chop up some Oreos. 😉
The puff pastry shells are great because they are vegan, and pretty much fool-proof. All you need to do is pop them into the oven and you have delicious, flaky pastry Valentine's Day is a special time around here because it is our wedding anniversary too (and it falls just a day after my birthday). I can't think of anything more delicious than these delicate shells to give our special day an indulgent flavor. Hope you try 'em, and a very happy Valentine's Day to you!
Vegan Chocolate Mousse and Oreo Stuffed Puff Pastry Shells
- Bake the puff pastry shells for 20 minutes or per package directions, until risen and golden. Set aside to cool. When the shells are cool enough to handle, cut out the centers with a small paring knife to create shells.
- Blend the cashews with the water and strain into a small saucepan. Heat until steam rises from the cashew cream, but don't let it boil. You want it to be just hot enough to melt the chocolate.
- Place the chocolate chips, vanilla, and sugar in a bowl. Pour the hot cashew cream over it and mix well until all the chocolate has melted.
- Cover the chocolate with cling wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour to solidify into a mousse.
- Remove the chocolate from the refrigerator and mix in the chopped oreo bits. Scoop the mousse into the puff pastry shells. Top with more oreos and walnuts. Serve at room temperature.