Treat your best friend to some well-deserved deliciousness with these Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits. They are made with millet and brown rice flour and are gluten-free and vegan, because you really, really care. Also soy-free and wholegrain.
The holidays are coming and no doubt you already are pulling together your favorite cookie recipes for your family to enjoy. And since so many of you who read this blog have furry family members, I wanted to share with you these scrumptious Gluten-free Peanut Butter Biscuits that never fail to set my Opie’s tail wagging.
Opie eats a gluten-free homemade diet and I usually also make his treats gluten-free because dogs, like humans, can suffer from severe wheat allergies. These treats contain rolled oats and oat flour and millet and brown rice flour, all grains that are gluten-free and good for him. Opie couldn’t care less for the grains, I would guess, but what he does love about these treats is that they are packed with the one vegan food that makes every doggie heart beat just a little faster: peanut butter. Even Lucy, always a tough one to get hooked to anything non-animal, loved peanut butter and would spend hours trying to tease it out of her kong toy.
These treats are pretty easy to make and if you have kids I can’t imagine a more fun project to get them involved in than baking for their best friends. The gluten-free dough is easy to work with, and you can make these cookies in all sorts of fun shapes. Although trust me, Fido won’t really care what the shape is. He– or she– will just want to gobble them up.
Vegan Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits, Gluten-Free
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix until the dough comes together in a ball. Add more flour or water if needed-- the dough should be firm and not too sticky.
- Turn out the dough on a flat surface and knead for a couple of minutes to make it smooth. Divide into two and roll out one portion into a round, about 1/3rd of an inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter to press out cookies and lay them on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 25 minutes, turning the cookies over halfway though the baking.
- Cool the biscuits on a rack before letting your doggie have a go at them!