These cookies will make you feel like you've died and gone to heaven but you'll want to live a long, long time to eat them over and over again. Three kinds of chocolate are stuffed into each little nugget, making them intensely chocolate-y and quite divine. They are also vegan, soy-free, and can be nut-free.
If chocolate is what you live for (and if you don't, are you for real?), these Vegan Death by Chocolate Cookies are for you.
There are three kinds of chocolate in each bite of this cookie--gooey melted chocolate, cacao powder, and chocolate chips--so there is more than enough for even the most extreme chocolate lover. The cookie itself has a shortbread-like texture and it melts in your mouth in a pool of chocolate-y deliciousness.
Whether you've been naughty or nice all year, these are the cookies to leave out for Santa if you want him to give you everything your heart desires. But I wouldn't blame you if you decide that being naughty is the better choice, in this case, and just eat them all!
Tips and tricks
- First off, this recipe makes a ton of cookies -- 36 cookies about two inches wide. While that is actually not a lot in my home, where they disappear easily, you can easily halve the recipe if you're making them for just one or two.
- All purpose flour is what I use in this recipe, but you can use whole-wheat pastry flour for a healthier cookie.
- I tend to feel a bit dishonest about attaching the "one bowl" adjective when making baked goods, as some do, because it creates a perception that you'll have just a bowl for cleanup when, obviously, you are still going to use other things, like baking sheets and/or pans. But the batter for this recipe does come together in one bowl--meaning you don't need one bowl for dry ingredients and another for wet.
- Start the recipe by setting your oven to preheat and then by melting the chocolate chips in a double boiler.
- A stand mixer or hand mixer makes it easier to make the battter, but if you don't have one, use a whisk and a bowl and you'll be just fine. Place the oil and sugar in it, whisk them, and then toss in the ingredients one by one (see recipe card below for full instructions). It's that easy.
- The batter is not really a batter--it will look more like a crumbly mix, the way a shortbread batter would look. Ball up some in your fist and it should hold together.
- You will shape these cookies by hand. Using a light touch, take enough of the batter to form a smooth, round ball about an inch in diameter. Then place it on your palm and press down on it with your other palm or fingers until it's flattened. These cookies will spread and puff up a tiny bit in the oven, but you will need to help them along in the beginning. This is a fun project for kids and Jay helped me shape most of these and stick the chocolate chips in them. 🙂
- The cookies will bake for 14 minutes. Rotate the cookie sheet halfway through.
- I sometimes add a half a teaspoon of cinnamon to these, and it's great here, but it is optional. I didn't use any this time.
Vegan Death by Chocolate Cookies
- 1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips (divided)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup almond butter (sub with equal quantity or oil or applesauce if nut-free)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour (use more all purpose flour if nut-free)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup cacao powder
- Melt ½ cup of the chocolate chips in a double boiler -- a bowl placed over a pot of simmering water -- until it's melted and smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, beat together the sugar and vegetable oil for a minute with a hand mixer or whisk. You can also do this in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or by hand.
- Add the almond butter, vanilla, coffee, salt and melted chocolate and mix until it all comes together. This will be a rather crumbly batter, more like a shortbread than a chocolate chip cookie batter. But it should hold together when you form it into a ball.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cacao powder and mix until everything is incorporated. Do not overmix. Stir in the remaining cup of chocolate chips and save some for the top, if you wish.
- Prepare cookie sheets by lining with silpat sheets or parchment paper. Or spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Make 1-inchs balls of the cookie dough and flatten them in your palms to make a disc. Place on the cookie sheet. Repeat. Be sure to give at least an inch of space between the cookies.
- Bake 14 minutes, turning the cookie sheet once halfway during baking.
- Remove from the oven and place the cookie sheet on a rack. Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes before transferring them directly to the rack where they can continue to cool.
Love these death by chocolate cookies? Check out more vegan desserts on Holy Cow!