Let your sweetie know just how much he or she means to you this Valentine's Day with these decadent, exquisite vegan Orange Crepes stuffed with a divine vegan cream cheese filling and drizzled with an apricot-walnut syrup.
As rich as they sound, these totally vegan crepes are perfect for Valentine's Day breakfast eats because they also show your special one that you care truly, madly and deeply about their heart's health: there are no cholesterol-laden eggs or dairy products here, and I use omega-3-rich flax meal to bind the crepes. I calculated the nutritional information for you, and each crepe with the cream cheese and syrup and all adds up to about 173 calories: not bad for a super-luscious treat for a special day.
I have a Sunday afternoon full of errands ahead of me and I'm going to run now, but I wanted to share these vegan crepes with all of you in time for Valentine's Day. It's an extra-special day for me because it also happens to be the day Desi and I got married.
Happy Valentine's Day all! A time as good as any to let those you love know how much you love 'em!
Vegan Crepes With Orange Cream Cheese And Apricot-Walnut Syrup
- For the Crepes:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white cornmeal
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- For the Cream Cheese Stuffing:
- 3/4 cup vegan cream cheese like Tofutti
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
- Zest of 1 orange
- For the Apricot-Walnut Syrup:
- (Makes about 20 servings)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup walnuts , chopped
- Make the crepe batter:
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and whisk. Scrape down the sides of the blender if any of the flour sticks, and blend again until well-mixed.
- Make the cream cheese stuffing:
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk using a hand mixer or stand mixer until you have a fluffy mixture.
- Make the Apricot Walnut Syrup:
- Place the sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and allow it to come to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Add the apricots and walnuts and turn off the heat after a minute.
- Assemble the crepes:
- Heat a crepe pan (use a 6-inch nonstick skillet or cast-iron pan if you don't have a crepe pan).
- Brush or spray a little oil on the bottom.
- Add about 2 tbsp of the crepe batter in the center and immediately lift and tilt the pan on all sides so the batter coats the bottom evenly. You want as thin a layer as is possible.
- Cook until you see the sides browning and drying, then flip over and cook another 30 seconds or until set.
- Remove the crepe to a plate. Spread some of the cream cheese mixture in the center, then fold once into half and once again.
- Drizzle with the apricot-walnut syrup and serve immediately.
I just baked up my Avocado Brioche recipe into these cute little rolls-- another delicious breakfast idea. To make these rolls, after the second rise divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll each into a smooth round. Place in muffin tins or in a baking dish, side by side but not touching, and let the rolls rise another hour in a warm place. Bake 22 minutes in a 350-degree oven. Serve warm.