A gobi masala or cauliflower masala made with a few simple spices. A stunningly attractive dish to bring to the dinner table with dal and rice.
Cauliflower florets are sauteed with tomatoes, onions and a few powdered spices.
It is simple Indian food at its best and a certain winner for weeknights.
More vegan Indian cauliflower recipes
- 1 medium head cauliflower (separated into florets)
- 1 large onion (sliced into half-moons)
- 2 medium tomatoes (diced)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cayenne (use less cayenne or sub with paprika for less heat)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Boil water in a pot and drop the cauliflower florets into it. Bring back to a boil and let the cauliflower cook for about three minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil. Add the cumin seeds and, when they sputter, add the onions and a little salt. Saute until the onions turn translucent, about five minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the powdered spices. Stir and let the tomatoes cook until they break down and start to express the oil.
- Add the cauliflower florets and stir well. Cover and cook a few more minutes or until the cauliflower is al dente. You don't want it to turn soft and mushy. Add salt as needed. Season with some fresh chopped cilantro.