It's Sunday morning, you're snowed in (still!), you couldn't go for that morning jog, and you are desperately in need of some my-body-is-a-temple food. Except you want it to be really decadent because it's your day off, for heaven's sake, and you need some pampering before you are driven to something desperate by all that snow piling up outside. Something that'll shine up from your plate like that elusive ray of sunshine. Something...like these vegan Orange Sweet Potato Wholegrain Pancakes.
Making healthy pancakes of all flavors is a bit of an obsession with me, not least because I live with people who are obsessed with pancakes. Desi could eat them all day, and even Jay - finicky Jay - has taken to pancakes so much that he starts begging from them right from Friday night.
For these pancakes, I combined two sunny flavors that go together beautifully: oranges and sweet potatoes. They add just that little hint of flavor and sweetness without being overpowering. And they make the pancakes really pretty too, with that sunny, golden color.
As always, I make my pancakes wholegrain by using whole wheat pastry flour. You can easily try this with a combination of regular whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, in equal proportions to substitute the pastry flour, or you could even make these with my gluten-free pancake mix, if you swing that way.
And then, all you have to do is gorge on them. Happy Sunday, all!
Looking for more vegan breakfast recipes?
Vegan Orange Sweet Potato Pancakes
Vegan Orange Sweet Potato Wholegrain Pancakes
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal
- 1 medium sweet potato cooked in the microwave or roasted in an oven until cooked through. To microwave, pierce with a knife in several places, wrap in a paper towel and microwave first for five minutes and then for three, or until a knife pierced in the center goes cleanly through.
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 ½ cups non-dairy milk
- ½ cup orange juice
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and flaxmeal in a large bowl.
- Blend the sweet potato, orange juice, applesauce and non-dairy milk in a food processor or blender until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, whisking or mixing with a spatula until everything is just combined. Do not overmix.
- Heat a griddle and spray on some oil. Pour about ¼ cup of batter in the center and cook until the sides start to dry and bubbles appear on top. Work on medium heat and keep a close eye because the sugar in the sweet potatoes and orange juice can cause the pancakes to brown quickly.
- Flip the pancake and continue to cook until the other side is golden-brown.
- Serve hot with any syrup of your choice.