Here's a simple vegan Leek and Spinach Frittata with fresh leeks and spinach wrapped in a savory, creamy, herby custard of tofu and vegan cheese. It's a delicious, protein-packed meal you can devour any time of day. A nut-free and gluten-free recipe.
A vegan frittata is a great go-to for those days when you want something delicious for breakfast or a hurried lunch without spending hours at the stove.
It takes literally minutes--10 minutes at most--to put everything together, and then all you need to do is let the oven cook it up for you.
What we love about this frittata
- It's creamy
- It's yummy
- It is healthy, with all those veggies
- It's protein-packed, thanks to the tofu
- It's easy and it's quick. So easy and quick, in fact, you can pull it together in minutes.
- It's mostly hands-off
Tips and substitutions
- A frittata usually has a base of eggs, and for my vegan version I used a blend of firm tofu and Just Egg replacer. If you don't want to use the egg replacer, add a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch instead.
- I would call this more of a scoopable frittata, rather than a slicable one--although I did cut it in slices and they did hold fairly well. I like the creamier texture, but if you want a firmer texture, add both the egg replacer and the cornstarch.
- Leeks are great in this recipe, but you can substitute with onions if you don't have them or don't want to use them. Green onions or scallions work too.
- Same with spinach. Use another leafy green like kale or chard. Or use bell peppers or squash or mushrooms, which would be exceptional here.
- You will start out the frittata on the stove and end it in the oven, so use a skillet that is oven-safe. A cast iron skillet is perfect.
Vegan Leek and Spinach Frittata
- Oven-safe skillet
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- ½ cup Just Egg egg replacer (or use 2 tablespoon cornstarch. You can use both for a firmer frittata)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (divided)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 leek (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups baby spinach (packed)
- 8 oz vegan mozzarella shreds (optional)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Blend the tofu with the just eggs replace, half a teaspoon of thyme, and salt and ground black pepper to taste until you have a smooth custard.
- Heat the oil. Add the garlic, saute for about 30 seconds until it begins to change color, then add the leeks with salt and pepper to taste. Saute until the leeks begin to soften, about two to three minutes.
- Add the spinach and saute until it wilts, which should take no more than a minute.
- Add the tofu custard to the skillet and make sure that the leeks and spinach are evenly dispersed throughout. Stir in the mozzarella shreds, if using, reserving a few to scatter over the top, if you want to.
- Cook until the sides of the frittata appear dry and you see bubbles rising to the top. Scatter on the remaining mozzarella at this point, if you've set it aside.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the center is completely firm and does not jiggle.
- Sprinkle on some parsley at this point for a pop of fresh flavor. Slice or scoop and serve hot or warm.