Love pancakes as I do, I keep trying to come up with new ways to make and enjoy them. My latest venture were these incredibly nutritious and delicious savory vegan pancakes that make even the healthiest regular pancakes doused in syrup appear unhealthy.
As usual, I made these savory vegan pancakes with whole-wheat pastry flour (if you haven't tried this before, please do. Trust me, not only is this a far healthier option to all-purpose flour, but it also tastes better in baked goods like pancakes and cookies and muffins).
And to bump up the protein and as an egg replacement, I added some tofu.
I also chopped up some veggies and added them to the pancake: I went with carrots, green peppers and onions, but some spring onions or cabbage or even spinach might make great additions. Just go with your imagination and some common kitchen sense.
The result was delicious, and Desi said it reminded him a little of uttapam, the savory, thick dosa that's a south Indian favorite.
More savory vegan pancakes
- Vegan Potato Sauerkraut Pancakes
- Savory Apple Potato Pancakes with Thyme
- Savory Indian Pancakes with Brown Rice, Lentils and Cabbage (Sanna Polo)
- Savory Black Eyed Peas and Sweet Potato Pancakes
Here's the recipe for these Savory Vegan Pancakes.
Savory Vegan Pancakes
- Mix in a bowl:
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- In another bowl , mix together:
- 1 cup silken or soft tofu
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cup chopped veggies (I used grated carrots, chopped onions and green peppers)
- ¼ cup minced coriander leaves
- 2 green chillies , minced
- 1 tbsp ginger , grated
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. If the mixture is too dry, add some soymilk until you have a pancakey batter: thin enough to spread but not dry. Check salt.
- On a hot griddle sprayed with oil, spread the pancakes into small 3- to 4-inch rounds.
- Flip over when bubbles appear in the middle and the underside is golden-brown. Cook for another minute or two.
- Serve hot with some chutney or ketchup.