Vegan Orange Cupcakes with the addictive flavor of orange and a soft, cloud-like orange buttercream.
These vegan orange cupcakes with orange buttercream are so delicious, you might want to devour them all at one setting. Better still, once the optional booze inside of them gets to work, you probably won't even feel any guilt. 😉
The buttercream is soft and fluffy and perfectly flavored with even more orange.
I added some Triple Sec, an orange-flavored liqueur, to these orange cupcakes because they give it just that tiny bit of je ne sais quoi...that hint of tantalizing mystery any cook loves in a recipe. You can just as easily leave it out, though, and use more orange juice instead.
I added the Triple Sec to the vegan buttercream frosting as well, and it was wonderful.
Here's the recipe. Enjoy, all!
Make these vegan desserts next:
- Vegan Mango Cupcakes with Mango Buttercream Frosting
- Lemony Vegan Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Vegan Carrot Cupcakes
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Hearts
- Vegan Lemon Rolls with Sticky Lemon Glaze
Vegan Orange Cupcakes With Buttercream FrostingPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Review Recipe
For orange cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoon orange liqueur like Cointreau or Triple Sec
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the orange buttercream frosting
- 12 tablespoon vegan butter (at room temperature)
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (use more or less depending on how thick you want your frosting, and how sweet).
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the orange cupcakes
- Sift all the ingredients into a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat all of the wet ingredients together until well-mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk just until you have a smooth batter. Do not overmix or overbeat.
- Divide the batter equally among 12 cups of a standard-sized muffin pan lined with cupcake liners.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven about 30-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Make the orange buttercream frosting
- Cream the butter until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Now add the orange juice, zest, liqueur and vanilla and half the sugar. Beat until mixed, then add the remaining sugar and beat until mixed. This should take no more than 2 minutes altogether.
- Frost the cupcakes after they've cooled completely. I sifted some cocoa powder on the cupcakes after I was done, to get a really pretty look. It's completely optional, of course,
Love these vegan orange cupcakes? Check out more vegan dessert recipes on Holy Cow Vegan!